CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 14, 2008

TGIF

Usually this is a statement I look forward to saying each week. Thankful that another work week has been completed and I can head home to clean, referee, clean some more and try to catch up on all the projects I could not get done during the week. I have been very blessed to have found a job that usually gives me great fulfillment. Being at home with my four children while they were young was an amazing gift but I admit I often tired of not being able to use some of my other gifts. Since Ella is now in school all day I work at a locally owned school supply store but run my own department, invitation design. I get to use skills that I began acquiring back in high school with computer layout and design and I get to incorporate aspects of interior design with color combinations and layout. I really enjoy my job, on most days. I get to work with brides planning the perfect invitation for their special day and I also get to participate in plenty of other special events making custom invitations or printing on blank stock. Getting to work with people during those special times of their lives is a great pleasure.

Not today though. I'm a people pleaser, always have been and don't like to tell people no. I told a woman today that I would complete her job in a very small amount of time because we had done the bride's invitations and programs already and wanted to help out with the last minute details. The bride has been a pleasure to work with, her assistant today was anything but. The job was passed onto my partner who had designed her invitations and programs but the job today was not completed in the time frame I had specified. Differences in work styles between me and my partner. Things only went down hill from there. The assistant called my partner a _itch and my partner simply handed her the paper and said, "we cannot help you today." Well, I ended up completing the job, with a rather large woman staring me down telling me, "I'm going to stand right here and watch you until you finish every last one of those." OK...so job done. I then proceeded to tell her that I completed the job out of courtesy to the bride whom we have enjoyed working with but that I did not appreciate how she treated me or my partner today and that I felt confident had the bride known how we were being treated she would not appreciate it either. Proud of myself for remaining composed but steaming inside, wanting to scream at the top of my lungs.

All this ranting simply to state...being rude does not make me want to help you any faster. Do people really think that getting an attitude and being rude will want someone to work any harder for them? I work in an industry completely defined by relationships with my clients and I always work to the best of my ability and move mountains to get jobs done on time, creating exactly what my clients have seen in their minds for years and have many letters of praise in my employee folder to substantiate that but today was a day I could not wait to walk out that door.

TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 comments: