CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 11, 2008

Huge Disappointment

All week long we have prayed that absolutely no obstacle would prevent Allan from getting on that plane today. We thought we were in the clear, until 2:30 a.m. when my cell phone, which has been perched on my night stand every night this week, rang and awoke both Mark and me. It was Jamil saying that the local chairman, who had already requested money earlier in the week, we were not expecting to have to send, wanted more money before he would allow Allan to leave today. I went at 7 this morning to wire that money to Jamil. By the time Jamil got to the Western Union to get the money the chairman told him he had to bring it to his home....45 miles away! So Jamil took a cab there and called me on the way to the airport telling me he was stuck in traffic. He had Allan's passport and although Allan was at the airport with both his uncle and Richard from the Embassy, he could not leave without it. Jamil did not make it in time and Allan missed his flight.

Jamil called me crying saying, "Auntie, I am so sorry. You trusted me, and I ran as fast as I could. I just did not get here soon enough." My heart broke for him and Allan. They were all crying. I assured Jamil that absolutely none of this was his fault and that everything would be alright. I immediately called the airlines and rescheduled Allan's flight for Sunday, same flight pattern, and he'll arrive in Houston on Monday at 1:35 p.m. I cautioned Jamil to take Allan back to his Uncle's home and not allow anyone to see him. The corruption that seems to be evident over there is just heartbreaking when I think of how upset Allan was when he saw the plane pull out of the terminal.

God is in complete control and though we cannot always see why things happen, they do happen for a reason. All week long our family has been battling a stomach bug. Mark Thomas came down with it Tuesday, Ella Wednesday and Mark last night. MT seemed to bounce back quickly, and Ella is just now today seeming more like herself. Mark is preaching this Sunday and so that I would not miss any work this week, because I need the hours badly, he stayed home Wednesday through today with the kids. Needless to say it's been a long week around here, and the laundry has been insane. We're praying that these three extra days will allow us to get rid of this bug and that everyone will be feeling back to normal so that we can all enjoy Allan's arrival on Monday!

Please continue to keep Allan in your prayers as he waits during this extra time. I'm so sure of our decision to bring him into our family and I want desperately to see and hold him again. We all do. I was reading a friend's blog a few minutes ago and read a posting by one of her friends and it just spoke to me, and the place at which we find ourselves today.

2 Chronicles 20:17 "You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you. "

How assuring those words are right now. Each of us face battles every day, but the comfort we have as believers is comfort beyond all other comfort. Being able to take our struggles to the Lord, knowing that he knows our every need, even before we do, is and should be enough to quiet our souls.

1 comments:

laura said...

Russ and I are praying. I cannot wait to see Allan's smiling face from my front window playing with the rest our crews! The swing is always a welcome place for all the kids...except at naptime! but seriously, i want you and mark to know that we are so very thankful to have your family across the street- knowing that you both were there during the difficulties with Sam and ever since has meant so much. Having a sister in Christ as a neighbor is such a blessing- I am looking forward to what the Lord is doing in your life as a family.